Boys are smarter than girls! | Gender Equality

Personal Branding with Runa Magnus

“RUNA, BOYS ARE MORE INTELLIGENT THAN GIRLS!”

I could not believe my ears when I heard that statement from my 18 year old cousin  the other day.  My first thought was: “OMG… after all the work, talk, blood sweat and tears to create the changes towards equal gender equality in the world including my country (Iceland) do young women today, really believe that the male gender is more intelligent than the other?”

I still could not believe what she was saying and thought: “I’ve got to find out what my bright 18 year old cousin really means by this statement”  Truth to be told, the way this statement sounded in my ears really did trigger my temperament, and I wanted to be sure I understood before I would judge her wrongly by this statement.

HOW ARE BOYS SMARTER THAN GIRLS?

After few questions this is what I found out what was hidden behind her believes.  She said: “Girls are working so much harder at school, really paying attention to all the work, reading, finishing projects in time, studying every hour, and that’s how they get good grades.  Boys who get high grades however seem to simply do it without any effort at all.  That’s why“, she added, “I think boys are more intelligent than girls!”

We discussed the fact that there are more women are graduating from Colleges and Universities in Iceland than men (well in most fields anyway).   “Yeah”… she said “that’s just because they have studied harder than the guys, not because they are as intelligent as the guys.  They know it all, spend little time to study and … effortlessly, pass the tests”

BELIEVING IN YOURSELF

This made me really think!  It’s 2012, are young women in the western world planning their future, still believing they come second?  And if that’s their believe, where have we (their role-models) failed so terribly? Are we (women) walking the talk, believing, talking, acting as we are equal to men, or are we still playing the role of victims,  working our butts of, hoping one day we will be noticed, when in fact we are only known for being the hard workers!

WHAT SORT OF A ROLE-MODEL ARE YOU?

The Key's to Success for Women Entrepreneurs

Posted on May 5, 2012 in For Gender Equality, For Personal Development, Personal Branding

Share the Story

About the Author

Responses (11)

1. Geia
    May 11, 2012 at 8:51 am · Reply

Boys just say that they don’t study as hard as the girls just because its sounds cool, but they really do.

• Runa
      May 11, 2012 at 9:07 am · Reply

Geia, I agree, think there is a whole lot of truth in that!  Seems the saying; “fake it till you make it” comes quite naturally for many!

• Kitdashit420
      October 23, 2012 at 6:04 pm · Reply

no they dont

2. Matthew997
    June 12, 2012 at 6:08 am · Reply

No I don’t study EVER so you Lie

3. name
    October 21, 2012 at 11:19 pm · Reply

xckvjn kxcm vosdfjvhisdn cm,. Molsdnkv.,sdm L<CJHSDKGsd<MV nkljSDvbh

4. babu
    December 5, 2012 at 9:23 am · Reply

i think boy are more smarter than girl becaus boys have broadmind than girl

5. nouranastasia
    February 11, 2013 at 4:04 pm · Reply

are u crazy people !!!
    there is certainly no relation between gender and intelligence
    it is all about learning & increasing the one’s knowledge
    if albert einstein hadn’t learned and incresead his knowledge, he wouldn’t have been as smart as he was
    i study anatomy and my opinion is based on scientifical and medical facts

• hrjkd
      January 15, 2014 at 12:30 pm · Reply

all the discoveries and inventions till now are mostly done my males .

6. Urban alpha
    July 5, 2013 at 7:44 pm · Reply

one simple proof ,boys are smarter enough to make girls believe that they are really smarter

7. Gabby
    August 14, 2013 at 11:43 pm · Reply

I HAVE THE SAME MENTALITY LIKE YOUR COUSIN!

8. puchasanyasi
    February 28, 2014 at 7:08 pm · Reply

I believe feminism wants Runa to believe men and women are equal, while without feminist intervention, naturally women becoming submissive obediant wives and loving nurturing mothers instead of obsessively copying men to prove that they are the MEN.